Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Snow" Day

I think it's the teacher in me--I LOVE snow days! I used to live for them when I taught as a much-needed break, eyes glued to the weather forecast for the slightest chance we would miss school. Even though I don't get a break from my current job on snow days :) it's still so fun!

So when it started snowing on Thursday night, Gavin and I made over-the-stove S'Mores (a trick I learned when I was pregnant and wanted a S'More so bad that I had to improvise with no fire) and hot chocolate!

Friday morning, of course the first thing we did was look out the windows and see the "snow." Dusting at most--if that. But it was exciting enough that we had to go out in it. So we bundled up. Does Henley look like a scene from A Christmas Story or what!?
"I can't put my arms down!"

Because I am a very mean mother, I made Henley feel it with no gloves first:
Checking it out...
Tasting it (of course)...

Then realizing that it was 24 degrees and her terrible mother bundled her up way too much to have any fun=
She reacted just like her brother did last year!

Because Gavin wanted to stay out, I put Henley in her favorite thing outside: the swing. Although she still wasn't overly excited, she wasn't crying! So that was a plus.

Gavin and I investigated our mud that turned into icy mud puddles and went puddle hopping:

Dakota really wanted to play fetch. Apparently this was the only stick branch she could find in the yard. Hilarious!

Gavin trying to break the ice (unsuccessfully):
I did have Gavin in a toboggan, but he requested his fireman hat so he could put out the fires in the snow. (How could I deny that imagination?) And gloves came off so he could taste the snow:

After about 20 minutes outside, even Gavin was joining in on the crying game...

So we came inside to our warm house for some hot chocolate and all was well with the world again!
Did anybody else venture out besides crazy me?

Side note...I always love listening to this song when it snows!

No comments: