Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Gavin!

There's so much I want to post!! I should be catching up on my sleep, but instead I'm keeping everybody updated on my beautiful little boy. I'll post more recent pictures hopefully tomorrow. For now, here's all the happenings of Gavin's birthday that we haven't posted yet...

Enjoying a grape popsicle after a light epidural. Just in case you didn't know, I was going to try to go as natural as possible. I got no IV drugs, and wanted to see how long I could go without an epidural. I went from 4 pm on Friday to 10:00 am Saturday morning with no sleep and lots of pain--I was ready by 10:00 for some rest and relief! So they gave me the smallest dose of an epidural, so I wasn't completely numb and could still move my legs and feel the contractions, but it was SOOOOOOO much better! :) I highly recommend getting one! :)
The family anxiously awaiting the new arrival. They came up early Saturday from Chattanooga and had to wait all day to meet their grandson!
Mom knitted an entire washcloth in the waiting room. Now I'll always have Gavin's special one! Chad (my brother) practiced his classical guitar the whole time.
Welcome to the world, Gavin!
His APGAR scores were 9 and 10! Woohoo!
I couldn't believe how precious he was! I like to think he's smiling here. :)
The first time I was cold in about 9 months! I couldn't stop looking at my little guy.
First bath
This is one of my favorite things from the day that I will always treasure in my heart. Watch this video of the family seeing Gavin for the first time...


The Wade Family
Grandma Melanie: "Nanie" (pronounced like Nonnie)
Grandpa Terry: "Pop"
and crazy Uncle Chad mimicking Gavin
"Unk"
Aunt Megan

The Hughes Family
Grandma Julie: "Gram"
Grandpa Robert: "Papaw"
Aunt Amanda
Ryan's first diaper change in his life! He is a pro at it now!
I just want to tell you guys what a wonderful husband I have. Because of my C-Section, I had to take it easy, which is hard for me to do! Ryan helped tremendously and did more than I ever expected him to do. He got up in the hospital any time Gavin cried to try to take care of him so I could sleep. As of today (Wednesday), I have seriously only had to change about 2 diapers! He has changed every diaper, brought him to me when I need to feed him, changed his clothes when he has a leak or a blowout (which is quite frequently these days!), and brings me anything I need to keep me from having to get up. I really do not know what I would have done without him for these first few days.
I am so thankful for you, Ryan! I love you so much! You are a wonderful husband and are already a phenomenal Dad! Gavin and I are so lucky!

8 comments:

Joanna said...

He really is precious. I can't wait to meet him in person. I will see you before the month is over!!!

Kate said...

So cute! I bet the waiting room was entertaining for all. Yipee!

Anne said...

Hey Allyson!
This is Meg Kittrell's sister Anne in Charlotte, NC:) I found your blog through Meg's right at the beginning of your pregnancy and have followed it ever since. I just wanted to tell you congratulations on the birth of Gavin! He is SO adorable!!! I hope you are recovering quickly from your C-section!

Lauren said...

These pictures are so precious! I'm glad you're doing well - thank you for keeping us updated!

Lauren said...

Ok, so I just realized that the picture of your family coming in was actually a video...duh -

TEARS!!!!!

That is one of the sweetesting things I've ever seen.

Meg said...

I can't wait to see little Gavin in person! His pictures really are adorable. As we say about Laurel..."above average cuteness!"

I'm glad that you are able to honor Ryan about serving you and baby Gavin. I had the exact same experience with Will. My respect and appreciation for him grew over those first crazy weeks :-)

ariel said...

I'm with Lauren, the video.. TEARS! Love it - that was the SWEETEST thing! Love the picture of you with your popsicle! Cant wait to see you and Mr Gavin soon!

Kim said...

I love this! He is such a cutie! Can't wait to meet him (which is too long from now)!

Walt has never changed a diaper in his life either. It'll be fun to see when that time comes.