Monday, April 4, 2011

Stupendous School

We are still truckin' along with a Letter a Week around here. I've been taking pictures along the way that I'd love to share of what we're doing...

B Week
We made Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Popsicles.
I think Tasty Treat Tuesday is by far Gavin's favorite day!
(Again with a diaper picture. I promise I dress him every day! But I mean, really, people, do you expect me to clothe him while we're working with chocolate??)

We went to the Library (Baby Bookworms) with some friends.

And we went to see the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra Quartet at another Library--nothing to do with the letter of the week, just so much fun and so educational!


C Week
Haylee came over and we made Caterpillars out of egg cartons:
I think the kids had a lot of fun and they turned out really cute!

We also went to get Cupcakes at City Cupcakes with Braden, London, and Phoebe who are also doing a letter a week with us.
Henley looks like she could put away a few cupcakes herself...
(She actually has a cupcake on her jacket to celebrate the day!)

D Week
D is for Duck!
I love how studious he looks here...
We put feathers all over the duck and he loved to feel them on his lips:

My favorite of the week was Digging for Dinosaurs!



Then for Cinema Saturday we watched The Land Before Time. We pulled the bed out of the pullout couch and Gavin played with his dinosaurs (in the back of his Mack Truck, of course) while watching dinosaurs on TV. It was so cute.


E Week
We went to the Zoo to see the Elephants:

I had these masks from my classroom that I brought along so Gavin could be an Elephant while watching them:

We visited Nani and Pop and Nani had a hose that she made into the perfect Elephant trunk!


E is also for egg! We went on an Easter Egg Hunt with a twist...
Instead of candy inside, I had little pieces of paper with the letters we had learned up until that point and he had to tell me what letters they were. Of course most of them he said "A!" You'll get it soon, Gavin!

F Week

Our Tasty Treat was a Tuna Fish Sandwich in the shape of a Fish!

This is my favorite thing I've done, but Gavin's least favorite! Fishing for all the letters we've learned. It's a magnetic fishing pole (from the Dollar Tree--love that store!) and he didn't want anything to do with it! Oh, well, maybe we'll pull it back out in a few weeks:

G Week
I made Grassy Guys with Braden and Gavin.
Step 1: Paint a cup:

Step 2: Fill cup with dirt:
(Notice Braden doing the right thing, while Gavin dumps it in the dump truck)
I love these boys!

Step 3: Put grass seed on top of dirt:

Step 4: Put on windowsill, water, and watch the hair grow!
It's time for us to give our Grassy Guy a haircut!


H Week:
Hilarious Hair Day in the tub!


H is his favorite letter by far. He now thinks every letter is H. I guess it's an important letter to know since it starts his last name!

I Week:
We made igloos!
1/2 an apple, cover with peanut butter, then cover with mini marshmallows:
It actually looks like a porcupine, but it was fun and yummy!

I is for insect:

We went hunting for insects to put in Gavin's new bug catcher (Thanks, Libby!)
All we found was a worm--not an insect, but Gavin was a fan:

The worm unfortunately met an untimely death as you'll see in the following 3 pictures...


We're hanging all the letters we do in his room on a clothesline:

He's proud of his artwork!

So we're doing what we can, but now that the weather is so gorgeous outside, I hope we can stick to it and not get distracted with playdates and playing outside!
Maybe we'll finish to Z by Christmas! :)

Side note--I want to share another website I have found for great ideas since my first post:
http://totallytots.homestead.com/NowIKnowMyABCs.html
How did the world ever survive without the Internet???

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You're doing such a great job sticking with it Allyson (no surprise to me)! Maybe I could send my kids to your house twice a week or so for some learning?

Meagan said...

You are such a great Mommy! I love the ideas!!!! :-)