Friday, March 16, 2012

Patio

With all the construction going on with our new addition, Ryan and I decided to pay extra to have a concrete patio poured. Here's what we had before (terribly blurry picture and it's from 2 years ago but it's the best I have of our ugly tile before!)...

First step was to bring a bobcat in to level out the dirt and pour gravel:

Love seeing the kids watching them in the doorway:


They left the bobcat overnight!

You know there was a certain kiddo that was a bit excited about that!! 

The next day, the mixer truck came and poured the concrete into the bobcat scoop... 

...then the bobcat drove around back, dumped it out...

...and the guys (in rainboots which Gavin thought was cool) smoothed out the concrete:

 While the concrete was almost dry, we got to put the kiddos' handprints in! We did it in the corner so it can be covered up by the grill, but I'm so glad we did it!


We had to do Henley's 2x before we got a semi-handprint. :)

The finished handprints (with their initials and 2012)...


The finished product (with our torn up yard all around!). When we did the new addition, we moved the door from the left to the far right and I'm really thankful we were able to do that. I like the layout so much better! And although the addition has been finished since Christmas, we haven't been able to use the door because there were no steps until now, so it's really a life changer!! :)

So we've been spending lots of time out on our new patio--eating most meals out there too!
It was warm enough for swimsuits and the swimming pool yesterday, then we decided to paint! I can't pick  my favorite, so here's a few because I think they're so cute!

 


  
  
 Henley of course spilled the water (I'm surprised how long it lasted, actually)...

 I tried to get her to fingerprint, which Gavin LOVED at her age, but she just wiped the paint off on her legs because her hands were dirty. OH.MY. I'm not used to a girly girl! :) 
(Also notice the nice snot which has been ever flowing this week!)

So Gavin moved to the table and got to finish by himself:

 Love this sweet boy. He got all these art supplies for his birthday and has been asking me every day to paint. I think it may have to be a daily activity!

And because I generally don't post about our bad days on here, I thought I would share how my days have been going lately with sick, teething, crying Henley Jane:

 I went in to get towels to clean up and this is what I came back to. Whew!

The last of the construction is grass seed in the backyard and new paint on the house! Hopefully finished pictures to come soon!

3 comments:

Meagan said...

Love the patio, Love the pictures... and as sad as that sweet Henley Jane is, those last two pictures made me laugh. Not AT her, but because I can relate! Ava Grace has been sick this week and I snapped a few melt down pictures myself! ;-) Hang in there little mama!

Sarah said...

Wow! The patio looks great! What a fun place to spend time outside. Poor Henley Jane :( Hope she feels better soon!
p.s. love your new blog background :)

Joanna said...

I have just looked through 3 blog posts...How did I miss them!!!!! Your patio looks great!!! Henley is really growing up in her looks:) She is stinkin' cute, just like her big brother!!!!