Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Firetruck

At not even 2-years-old, Gavin has gotten to do some pretty awesome things in his little life, but this one I think ranks up in the top 3. We got to ride on a firetruck today!!!

All thanks to Elizabeth and her friends in high places! :)

Back in college, Ryan used to live across from a fire department. And small world, Elizabeth lived next door! (Side note--that's actually how I met most of my good friends now because I would stay with them when I came up here to see Ryan when we were long distance in college. Ok, back to the main story...) Elizabeth knew some of the firemen that have now moved to a different fire station and they let us bring the boys to see the firetrucks today!

And what was this firetruck-obsessed-boy's reaction for most of the time!? Joy? Elation?
No! Crying and complaining!

I was shocked!! He was very clingy to me and very unlike himself.
I couldn't believe it!

Braden had a good time at least!

Ready to take an emergency call...

If you have never held or worn a fireman hat, they are HEAVY!

Gavin warmed up to Fireman Chip a little bit when he turned on the engine:

"Can we ride in it, Mom?"

Elizabeth and I never thought they would actually let us ride in the firetruck...but they did!!!

Two firemen stayed back to watch Kate and Henley (how cool is that!?) while we rode with the boys down the street and back. It was sooo fun! Gavin cried at first (ridiculous!) but then relaxed once we got going.

Braden got to honk the horn:

Fireman Chip gave us a tour of the station. It had a real pole! Blurry picture, but Braden is pushing the button that makes it open to slide down.

I would love to have a picture of Gavin sliding down the pole, but he wouldn't let go of me! I said, "Gavin, do you want to slide down the pole?" and he said, "No!"
Gavin is napping now and I'm sure is dreaming about his awesome morning at the Fire Station. I think he was just overwhelmed that his dreams had actually come true!!! :)
Thanks for letting us come with you guys, Elizabeth!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for doing a blog post so I don't have to! I love the video!

Meagan said...

How cool is that?!?! For the kidletts and the moms! :-) Really cool that he got to do that! Love it!

Kim said...

That's pretty darn cool that you guys got to ride in the truck!

MELDUST said...

how fun!!! this would be Emma's friend Owen's dream come true too.