Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Boo Boo

It took me 25 years to break a bone (my finger 1 1/2 years ago).
Ryan has never broken a bone.
How long did it take Gavin? Less than 6 months...

It all started on Friday. I think I've posted before that he is a pro at rolling on his belly, but he can't roll to his back. So I spend a lot of my days rolling him back over when he starts fussing about it. So I was flipping him over and his left leg got caught underneath him behind him and sort of next to his head (it was a terrible position, that should have been my first clue). He cried quite a bit that day, but got better. He didn't move his leg a whole lot, but I thought it was just sore. Well, Monday night he woke up every 3 hours in a panic crying really hard each time.
So I took him to Dr. Glover (his pediatrician) and he felt around and said that if he were a skinny boy, he might be able to feel a break, but all that padding kept him from feeling anything! Hahaha. So he sent us to Children's Hospital to get it x-rayed. They took 7 x-rays and said there was a fracture above his left knee at the bottom of his femur bone. Apparently that's common for kids when they move it the wrong way (but it's usually not the Mom's fault I'm sure!!). The x-ray tech said if he needed a cast, it might be a double leg cast with the broom handle in between. Whew! So we went today to the Knoxville Orthopedic Clinic to see a specialist, and THANK GOODNESS Gavin does not have to have a cast! What an answer to prayer. It's a clean fracture, so it's lined up good, and since it's at the bottom of the bone, no need for a cast. If he were more mobile, this would be a different story, but since he's not crawling or walking yet, we're good! So we'll go back in 3 weeks to get another x-ray to get an update on how it's healing.

So you can see in these pictures that he now uses his right leg all the time (before it's always been his left):
The Orthopedic doctor said he's doing everything he needs to do by not using it and putting weight on his right foot instead. The only time it hurts him is when he gets startled and he jumps.
He's obviously feeling ok!

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Poor little guy! I hope he heals quickly!

Denton Family said...

I know how traumatic all that is. Please don't beat yourself up too much. I am sure if you asked moms what they have had happen to their kids at their fault you would be amazed.Miles was standing in a buggy at 14 mo and fell on his head on concrete floor. Glad to hear it will heal on its own.

Becky Lott said...

I'm so sorry! Julie told me. Poor guy...Poor YOU guys! Hope it gets better real soon!

Joanna said...

It is amazing how quickly babies heal!!! They are so resilient! Now you get to learn to be the resilient Mom! Your boy is precious:) We all love you!

MELDUST said...

oh my goodness!!!! poor little Gavin!!! Hope you all are doing much better now! I had to laugh at his cute little pictures moving the other leg. He's such a cutie!

Shannon said...

Poor guy! I remember you telling me about this at church. I can't believe he broke his leg, that's crazy! I'm just waiting for Libby's first big fall/injury! It's only by God's grace that it hasn't happened yet! But I'm sure it will, as much as we want to we can't protect them from everything. Crazy babies! :) I'll pray for quick healing.