I say often that I have a suppressed kindergarten teacher inside of me dying to get out. I loved loved loved teaching kindergarten for 5 years, and I really do miss it. But I can't imagine going back to work and not staying home with my kiddos right now. So when my buddy Elizabeth said she was going to do a letter a week with Braden, Gavin and I of course said we wanted to join her!
I sure have loved all the students I've had over the years, but I think this little guy might be my favorite! :)
Since Gavin is not even 2, I didn't want to do a ton of things that would be over his head, so I came up with a fun schedule to give us structure that I think is age-appropriate for him. My schedule looks like this (and is subject to change on a weekly basis!)...
Scripture Sunday
Music Monday
Tasty Treat Tuesday
Working Wednesday
Thinking Thursday
Field Trip Friday
Cinema Saturday
And let me say that I am a teacher, therefore most of what I'm coming up with is completely copied! These are my favorite websites right now:
No way am I going to have time to share what I do each week, but I wanted to share "A Week" with you because we had so much fun!
Scripture Sunday
We just got this awesome book: My ABC Bible Verses to learn a verse a week.

A week's verse:
"A soft answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1
Music Monday
Learn a Nursery Rhyme/Song every week to go along with the letter.
A Week: "The Ants Go Marching"
It's amazing what you can YouTube and find to teach these little guys!!
Tasty Treat Tuesday
We made homemade applesauce! Gavin loves helping in the kitchen (and eating what we make!!) so this might be his favorite day!

It was so easy and so yummy!
Working Wednesday
I want to do some sort of art project each week with the letter.
A is for Alligator!
The kitchen table is our work space for most of these activities--he loves it!
This boy loves to color! Twistables are my favorite (and were a requirement in my classroom) because they're always sharp and don't break!
Finished product:
Thinking Thursday
Math skill to go along with the letter.
We sorted different colored apples. Gavin is getting this sorting thing down!! He wanted to line them up after he sorted them. He's a bit particular about lining things up these days!
Field Trip Friday
Fun adventure that starts with the letter.
This technically wasn't on A week because I got sick, but we had plans to go to the Zoo to see the Animals! We postponed it a week and Ryan was able to go with us!
Sweet Henley always along for the ride and happy as can be!
I think Gavin likes the Zoo more with his Dad there!
I think we need to go back for M week for these crazy monkeys. The Gibbons are probably my favorite at the whole Zoo, but they were CRAZY Saturday! A lady started talking to one of them and he kept talking--for literally 30 more minutes. We heard him as we walked all around the rest of the zoo still yelling:
Gavin loved the petting zoo! I guess it helps that we have an 80 lb Boxer, so he wasn't afraid of the animals at all!
Cinema Saturday
I love having family movie time, so I would love to find a family movie to go along with each letter. This week, it was Aladdin! I remembered so many songs from when I watched it when I was little that it was so fun to watch it again!

After we did a full week of A, we were at my friend Kim's house with an "A" magnet on her fridge and Gavin walked up and said, "A!"
HOLY COW!!! I freaked out. This is a horribly blurry video, but I had to document my little genius:
But don't be fooled, he now thinks EVERY letter is an A. It's pretty funny actually. We were outside this afternoon playing and he saw letters on his basketball goal and said, "A!!" No, buddy, "Little Tikes" does not have an A in it. But hey, he is recognizing letters which is progress! So maybe all letters will be A for a little while. :) But we're having so much fun and I'm having so much fun teaching again!






5 comments:
We enjoyed all of your videos- thanks for posting! I'm glad for your explanation of Gavin's attire in the sorting pictures. When we got to the first one London asked, "Why is he un-modest?"
I am glad to have you doing letter weeks with Gavin right now to help spur me on!
Thanks!
Believe me. The teaching only gets funner as they get older. Emily thinks every letter is an "A" too.
Of course, I can't wait to do letter of the week with Rev in the future!! And that was so much fun seeing Gaving exclaim, "A!" at our house! :)
You are such a great Mommy and I know that being able to work with your own little ones will fill that need to teach! :-) I think this is a great idea and that your "schedule" sounds both fun and reasonable! :-) Hope I get to hear more about it!
What an amazing mommy you are!!
Post a Comment