For our first anniversary 4 years ago, Ryan took us camping to see the fireflies at Elkmont in the Great Smokey Mountains. We have been every year since! If you haven't been, I HIGHLY recommend it. Those of you that know me well are probably laughing right now because I've either told you all about it or brought you along with us! These fireflies are a special species and they are synchronized. Seriously! They all light up at the same time like Christmas twinkle lights, then they all cut off at the same time. It is unbelievable and truly reveals the glory of God. What's the craziest part? It happens here and in China--that's it! They've only known about it for about 10 years happening at Elkmont because some regular visitors saw them. Now about 1,000 people go every night! They only light up for 3 weeks in June, so you can still visit this week if you want to go! Go here for more info. Wow, I'm such a teacher, sorry. :)
His very first camping trip! He did awesome, but with our nature boy, of course he did (notice the camping shirt and hiking boots!)!
We went with my parents and Ryan's parents this year. I can't believe I have 0 pictures of Robert and Julie! They had to come a little later and leave a little earlier. Here's my parents in front of the popup they let us stay in (thanks, guys!).
Ryan and Gavin hangin' out in the popup (which is soooo much nicer than our usual tent camping).

The fireflies start at about 9:00--an hour past Gavin's bedtime! So we put him to bed in the popup and then carefully put him in the bjorn when we left--he didn't even wake up! Ryan was a trooper and carried him the whole time--2 hours! It doesn't normally take that long to see them, but we walk at least a mile in to get away from all the people that stop at the front of the trail. Not only are there less people, but I think there are more fireflies further back, as well!

Ryan teaching Gavin how to start a fire.
Yes, my husband is an Eagle Scout and doesn't need help starting a fire! But it's much quicker this way.

There was a tree that had fallen over a stream right by our campsite. Mom and I had fun walking over it.

And I haven't done this in about 10 years and for some reason decided to try it over the water. Ariel, I would have made you do it with me!
It was a great trip! We can't wait for Gavin to be able to enjoy seeing the fireflies instead of sleeping through it!
The fireflies start at about 9:00--an hour past Gavin's bedtime! So we put him to bed in the popup and then carefully put him in the bjorn when we left--he didn't even wake up! Ryan was a trooper and carried him the whole time--2 hours! It doesn't normally take that long to see them, but we walk at least a mile in to get away from all the people that stop at the front of the trail. Not only are there less people, but I think there are more fireflies further back, as well!
Ryan teaching Gavin how to start a fire.
There was a tree that had fallen over a stream right by our campsite. Mom and I had fun walking over it.
And I haven't done this in about 10 years and for some reason decided to try it over the water. Ariel, I would have made you do it with me!





6 comments:
That last picture is HILARIOUS!!
I would've never known about those bugs (insects?) if you hadn't told me...that is amazing.
Yes, my parents still live in the same house...I think they will be there forever. ;) Thanks for thinking of me when you drove by!
Do you think it is time for Gavin's first trip to Florida? This child will have more mini vacations than many grown-ups:) I love reading about all your adventures. Gavin is precious! As is your adorable family!
So Dirty Dancing of you!
Okay, I am crackin up at that last pic! LOVE IT! Y'all are such nature-lovers, cracks me up! I am glad y'all had such a good time. I can't get over how much Gavin has grown... tell that boy to SLOW DOWN! :-)
Seems like I've seen the same fire starting apparatus in use with Robert. Camping with the Kluttz's and the Hughes' tended to teach us interesting things growing up...
HAHA I love your heel stretch! SO GOOD! I would have totally done it with you and TOTALLY pulled a muscle! :)
Post a Comment