Thursday, August 23, 2012

Preschool

We have been so busy this summer that it hasn't sunk in that my little boy who I have spent every day with for the last 3 1/2 years would be leaving me 2 days a week to start Preschool. Any cute saying he says, any song he sings, any letter he's learned, I'm the one that taught him. I haven't missed anything in his life (except for little getaway trips with Ryan). So Monday night when I realized I would be missing him and someone else was going to be teaching him... let's just say there were tears. :) My neighbor Dianne came over to give me a hug and I LOST it! I had been holding back tears all evening (I think it was a compilation of Ryan not being here to share this with me, my baby growing up, me realizing how much I was going to miss Gavin during the day, etc.). But thankfully I got all my crying out the night before so that I could be nothing but EXCITED on the morning of his first day!

We chose his new tractor shirt to wear, so he brought me his mini tractors from Cars to take a picture. I think this is my new favorite of him:

My sweet not-so-little boy:


He was super excited. We read The Berenstain Bears Go to School the night before and I think it got him really excited! 
(Side note: After school, he grabbed the book and compared his classroom to the one in the book. Precious!)
 

Aunt Amanda came over that morning to see us off since Ryan couldn't be there! Thanks for taking this pic, Amanda!


 He is going to a local church's preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-1:30. We are staying busy with our new schedule (lots of running around for me and Henley), but it's been a great week!




I brought him into his class, and he went right in and started playing. Like no looking back! I said, "I love you, buddy!" and he (without looking at me) said, "Love you, too! Bye!" I think he was ready for this big step!
                                                   

Ryan sadly had to miss this boy's first week of Preschool. He is out of town on business, so since I would want to hear straight from Gavin's mouth about his 1st day, I interviewed him for Ryan to see. Enjoy:
(p.s. This did not get on the video, but apparently the big news of the day was that a little boy got in trouble. But Gavin said he chose to do the right thing. Way to go, bud! We had a long discussion before he went that there may be some kids whose parents forgot to tell their kids to be kind and to do the right thing. So let's see if this boy can remember the right thing all year! :) )

Before I close, I have to share my dorkiness. I remember loving getting little treats from my students on the 1st day and so I wanted to do a little something for Gavin's teachers. So we made homemade Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins and wrapped them up with a tag that says, "There's 'muffin' like great teachers!" Oh my.

Can I just say I am having a blast packing Gavin's lunches! He is requesting sandwiches in different shapes of cars and trucks (today it was a monster truck) and he helps me pack it the night before with yummy treats.


First week down--Gavin loves it, I love his teachers, love that he is getting uninterrupted learning time every day, and I love spending one-on-one time with Henley Jane! More updates on our fun activities as mother/daughter to come!

No comments: